Simple Ear Cuff Tutorial

July 04, 2012


What you've all be waiting for... an ear cuff tutorial! I've been making ear cuffs for over a year, but unfortunately haven't had the time to make some of the insanely complicated designs I've dreamed up. This, however, is a very simple ear cuff that takes only a few minutes to master!

Ear cuffs (also known as ear clips, cartiliage cuffs, ear vines, and more) are fabulous for people who don't have pierced ears-- or pair them with other earrings for a "double piercing" look. They are easy to wear, and stay in! I wore one on several rollercoasters and it stayed in place. The only thing to watch out for is hair tangling in them; tug your hair, and you might tug off the cuff.
I've had many friends test these ear cuffs and the sizing shown below has fit everyone because it is adjustable.

All you need is pliers and some wire (the pictured wires are 20ga blue silver plated copper and 20ga enameled copper in various colors).


Begin with 3 inches of wire.


Fold at one inch.


Fold again, creating a little zigzag.


Twist the ends into swirls and pinch the swirls until they touch the center wire. Having loops on the far left and right edges makes the cuff more comfortable (so don't pinch the zigzags into a straight line).


You will need a mandel to form the ear cuff correctly. Anything in a good small circle-- I found that this PaperMate marker was the perfect size. Bic pens are too small for some people, and other markers are way too large. Experiment and find what works best for you.


Push the ends down...


The tips of the ends will still be straight. Using pliers, gently twist them to complete the circle.


Tada!


This brown ear cuff fits both ears. The swirly decoration sits on the outside of the cartilage. Next I'll show you have to make an ear cuff specific to one ear-- a very important skill for some of the more difficult ear cuff tutorials I've got planned.




This ear cuff is for the left ear.



You can use a larger length of wire and create bigger swirlies. You can then add a simple wirewrapped bead dangle onto the cuff.



Or, create something a bit more gothy or piratey by adding chain and a stud earring! Be creative!


UPDATE: I've made tutorials for two more ear cuffs, the 'Swirly Ear Cuff' and the 'Double-Loop' style, and I plan on posting step-by-step or behind the scenes shots for some more complex ear cuffs, which you will be able to find here.


As I said before, ear cuffs are not my idea, but this tutorial is. You may use this tutorial to make your own ear cuffs, or your own modified design, for personal use or even for selling. All I ask is that you please reference me (Shaylynn Ann / Shealynn's Faerie Shoppe), and include a link back to my blog where appropriate. I do put a lot of time in coming up with tutorials and offering them for free, so thank you for this courtesy! And if you don't feel like making one of your own, they are available in my Shoppe, and can also be custom ordered!

UPDATE AGAIN: I made a video tutorial! Watch it below, or, if it won't load, here's the YouTube link.

You Might Also Like

26 comments

Like us on Facebook

all

Flickr Images

Subscribe