On My Workdesk Wednesday

July 23, 2014

I'm staring a new, regular blog feature: Workdesk Wednesday.

It is inspired by the WOYWW link-up over at the blog Stamping Ground, but I'm going to use it as a personal challenge to keep this blog updated on a weekly basis!

(You should check out WOYWW to see the workdesks of other artists and crafters!)

Every Wednesday, I will take a picture of the workbench in my garage studio at home, or my dorm room at school, or one of the tables at my school's studio.

So, what have I been up to this week?

What's On My Workbench:


What's this? A gigantic power supply running electricity through an acid bath?

Ooooooh, yeah. After learning how to etch and oxidize copper using all sorts of chemicals, I just had to keep going. This technique is my largest monetary investment into supplies... so I'm really hoping it works well. I'm having some hiccups right now.

I'm learning how to electroform organic materials! This means that I will be able to literally turn real leaves into copper. Well, not literally. What I'm literally doing is plating them in a nice, sturdy coat of copper.

I can then take the copperized leaves and patina them in various colors to make jewelry. I'm also looking for a way to create a sparkle dip that doesn't look cheesy, so I can make the leaves a little iridescent.

Hiccup #1: I can't skeletonize the leaves very well. I've been boiling the leaves in baking soda, soaking them for a day, and scrubbing gently with a toothbrush, but all I've managed to do is tear the leaves apart. If anyone has ANY tips, please let me know!

Hiccup #2: The conductive paint is taking some trial and error, as I can't seem to get an even coating and only parts of the leaves are turning copper.

Hiccup #3: The rectifier I bought online was defective and I had to return it. I'm borrowing this one from my dad's work but it's only for a couple days. They recently got an upgrade to a stronger power source, so maybe I can buy it from his boss?

(edited)

You Might Also Like

12 COMMENTS

  1. Wow you are amazing and what a craft, cant wait to see more, the stuff you have done here are just awesome
    Bridget #3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is amazing. I love the earrings. #7

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting work especially the copper stuff... Good luck with it
    Janet @13

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS
    If you want comments from WOYWW I would consider turning off word verification ... It takes too long to get through it ... Just saying :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Careful of pushing your stuff for sale on your WOYWW posts with links to your etsy store. We are more interested in your desk and what you have made on it. I Love your work and would love to see you join WOYWW more often, but read the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to WOYWW..I won't repeat some of the comments because that's a waste of time..your desk is way the most technical we've seen, fascinating. Your jewellery is quite lovely. I thought the skeleton leaves were created by dry heating....but really, I don't know why I thought that.....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the headsup on the rules, guys, you're right that I hadn't read them thoroughly. I was hoping to make Wednesdays just a general updates day but I think I'll separate my updates into two posts.

    Julia-- I'll look into that! All I had done was search "how to skeletonize leaves" and the baking soda thing was the most practical I saw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness me. Don't think I have ever seen anything like this on a desk. Welcome to WOYWW - just beware - we are addictive!!! You will find, as we all do, that Wednesdays are thoroughly anticipated, enjoyed, and then spread right through the week, as we visit as many as we can.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #10

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome, hope you enjoy your visits. We are a pretty mixed bunch as you will find so plenty to see.
    Looking forward to seeing some of the results of your tests.
    Happy crafting and have a great week, Angela x #44

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG. Welcome to WOYWW, You're going to bring a new level to desk hopping!

    You'll definitely have to show us your finished work. Unfortunately I can't help you with any of the hiccups.

    Happy belated WOYWW
    Peace, Kay (65)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I have never come across one of those on a desk before, but what you are trying to achieve sounds very intriguing. Hope you manage to iron out the hiccups and I look forward to some seeing some beautiful coppered leaves. Thanks for paying me a visit. Lottie #75

    ReplyDelete
  12. This all looks very fascinating, I have been considering buying an airbrush but put myself off with the technicalities, but they are not in this league.

    ReplyDelete

Like on Facebook

Instagram Images