Byzantine Cross

September 27, 2010


Here it is, in all its finished glory!

This cross is by far the most complicated chainmaille project I have ever done-- especially because I had absolutely no instructions. I'd seen someone on Etsy make a chainmaille cross, but it was in a Persian weave, which I have not yet learned. So I winged it!

I got the jumprings from UnkamenGifts-- the colors are spectacular. As soon as I opened the bag, I knew that I had to make something in a rainbow fade...

I'm calling this the Byzantine Cross because, not only is it made in a Byzantine weave, but because the colors are typical of the artwork of the Church's Byzantine rite.


First try
The first attempt turned out rather well, except for one problem:

FLOPPINESS!

(Note how small the cross is-- it is just over two thumbnails in length. )

So I pulled apart the connecting rings and experimented with various sizes and numbers of rings.

Pulling it apart

Putting it back together.











The back of the revised edition.

I wound up using a brown mobius (3 interlocked rings) in the center and small green rings for structure. 

The bottom part was still floppy-- I couldn't get the three supporting rings in the middle of the weave--, so I attached an eyepin to the back. (It's bent in this picture, oops!)


Here it is-- the product of several hours of experimentation! It's quite sturdy now, don'tcha think?

It's hard to believe that I first heard of chainmaille jewelry this summer! I love it so, sooo much. ^_^

You Might Also Like

5 COMMENTS

  1. It's a beautiful cross - I just love the colors! And it is a wonderful new addition to my Reader Gallery of Inspirational Designs!

    http://www.beadinggem.com/2009/05/reader-gallery-of-inspirational-jewelry.html

    Thanks for reading my blog. The only way to really learn and to design is to try and experiment which you showed here. Very inspiring!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaylynn!!! That's beautiful! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaylynn, your Bysantine Cross is beautiful and the colors are fasnating and makes the cross more beautiful.
    I have a pair of gold byzantine earings to do< I hope to get to them before Christmas I have 3 other projects to do on is criystal earrings and necklace has to be re strung and more beads added to it. and a oriential necklace to finish. I brought most of the product at Artbeads.com.
    continue your work and have fun with all that you do in life.
    Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! I was thinking I might make one in silver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great I never thought of the 4 stabilizing rings to make it look like a Celtic cross

    ReplyDelete

Like on Facebook

Instagram Images