Delightful Desk

May 08, 2011


 Remember how I said I was going to decorate my room... in a totally cool, mostly DIY, and very cheap sort of way?

 Nothing is easier and cheaper than scrapbook paper! Read on...




This was my desk on an ordinary day. 


We found these beautiful little cork board squares at Staples-- I think we spent $15, and there are more squares than what I hung up.

(Yes, those are roses hanging from my ceiling. Hey, I like to dry flowers!)


Want to add a splash of color? Change your room's look in just a couple of minutes!

All you have to do is pin up some scrapbook paper!


 Viloa! I just used the paper I had on hand. It went beautifully with my "color scheme." You can pin directly onto the paper.

 I wound up taking this down because I actually had plans for most of that paper. :)



AND NOW.... my favorite part of the desk design! 

I made a fun little topper for my rather boring cork board rectangle.

Gathering pretty papers...
This post on Vintage Wanna Bee's blog inspired me. I followed the tutorial for round paper fans.
It's actually really easy: just take 2 pieces of matching scrapbook paper, accordion fold, and then glue together.


I made several in different sizes and colors. I even used old book pages from one of those ruined paperbacks! 

Sticking the fans onto the wall proved to be a bit of a problem. What with all the folding, there was no where for tape to go! Obviously I can't damage the walls or the paint, so it took a bit of thinking to find a solution.

I wound up putting half pieces of 3M wall stickies on the wall. On top of these I used some really thick, puffy glue dots. Next, I pressed the paper fans onto the glue dots. I've had two fall down, but all I had to do was gently push them against the glue dot again and they were OK.


Of course, I HAD to add a cute little quote. (You know me and my thing with quotes!). This one is supposedly from Albert Einstein. I built the graphic myself, printed it out on card stock, and then tore the edges for a rough look.

"A clean desk is the sign of an empty mind..." my ultimate excuse for not cleaning my desk!

click to enlarge
 Here you can see the finished project: I added some paper cutouts to the middles of the bigger paper fans. (Scalloped book pages with small circles of scrapbook pages glued in).
Now my desk is nice and fancy. :) I love this craft. It is so easy to do and adds a touch of whimsy to my room!


My whimsical DIY desk decoration... on one of the few occasions that my room is actually clean!!!

This has been up in my room for several months now, and I'm going to help one of my friends make a bunch to hang above her bed!



Check out my other DIY decor posts {here}.

Did this inspire you to make some decorations of your own? Leave a comment! I am the Comment Monster. Please give me comments. Nom nom nom!

Linking up at these loverly blogs.

You Might Also Like

13 COMMENTS

  1. I love it! So pretty! I actually did something similar a while back in my room. I had three pictures arranged diagonally with their corners touching, and I made 1/4 versions (in black) of those to put in the corners. It's amazing what you can do with just a little paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. would you post a printable of the quote? i tryed to do one but it did not work

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I love it! Right now I'm trying to figure out where I could put those fans in my room...(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those circle 'fans' look fantastic! Great job!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great idea and so inexpensive. Love the extra touch with the fans. So many possibilities. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I totally totally love the colourful wall... and the tidy desk :-)

    Thanks for linking in.. to my weekend wrap up!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I already bought these sheets of paper whenever I go to Hobby Lobby (very dangerous place), and I love to use them on cards, on my walls, etc. I also found that gluing buttons and lace from the scrap section in the store makes them more special as well. :) I love to collect buttons, paper, fabric, etc. I had never thought to use them as a sort of art feature as you do here though, very nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh, so a messy desk is a sign of a busy, productive mind? Good, then there is hope for me... maybe. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this idea! I've a set of colored handmade papers from Auroville (Pondicherry, India), and have been wondering how to make use of em! This is the way to go, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessie-- I'd be glad to do a printable of the quote! Great idea! Look for it in an upcoming post, I'll probably put it in my wrap-up post later this week.

    Thanks, everyone! This was so easy and cute... The desk is no longer that tidy. Noooooot tidy at all....

    Hehee, Mary, craft stores are ALWAYS dangerous places.

    Ambika-- those papers sound stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those papers are very pretty and great idea thanks for sharing
    anandhirajan
    http://anandhirajansartsncrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute. I love those colors!

    Emily
    Deviantly Domesticated Team
    http://stephaniehillberry.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those folded paper circles. They add such style for something so simple. :-) Love your quote as well....my mind must be Full To The Brim.

    ReplyDelete

Like on Facebook

Instagram Images