Switchplate Covers { Tutorial }

March 08, 2011



The latest addition to my artsy-craftsy bedroom decorating is... switchplate covers!  
(Also known as lightswitch covers.)

I also made some covers for electrical outlets and some funky pokey-thing whose purpse I have not the least clue of. I was not able to decorate the cover on the phone outlet because the covers seems to be attached to the wires.

The covers in my bedroom were boring white (not to mention stained!). Time for an updo! It's amazing how this little projects brightens up a room!


Now, it might be redundant to do this tutorial, since it is rather common-sense and the idea is by no means unique. But I took work-in-progress pictures, and... we don't want to let perfectly good pictures be wasted, do we? No!
To make Lightswitch Covers, you will need:
Screwdriver
Scrapbook paper
Scissors
Mod Podge glue and a paintbrush
Scotch tape
Any embellishments

Cost: practically free. Most crafters will have these supplies at hand.
Time: 15 minutes of working, around 45 minutes of drying time spread throughout.

Remove the lightswitch cover. Make sure no little siblings are nearby to poke their fingers at the wires.

Prepare to glue the paper!

Cut out a square of paper several centimeters larger than the cover.
Coat the cover with Mod Podge.

Place the paper on the glue-y cover and cut out the holes for the lightswitch/electric outlet.
You can do this with an Xacto knife, as I did, or trace the holes on the paper and cut it out with scissors.

Clip the corners of the paper. Paint glue onto the edges.

 Fold the edges over. Secure with tape. (The tape holds the paper tightly in place while the glue dries; you don't need to bother about removing the tape.)

Here, you can see that I added embellishments. I raided Mom's scrapbook supplies and found this hardware that was the perfect size!

Coat the entire cover with Mod Podge. I did not do this for the electrical outlets, but I put around 3 layers of Mod Podge on the lightswitch covers! I want to be able to clean off dirty fingerprints and I don't want wet hands to warp the paper!

Ta-da! No more boring covers!

You can cut out paper shapes-- you can even use book pages! Just be careful that you look at the book page before you glue it on... I wound up trying to scrape off a not-so-nice word!

This is a great craft for kids to help with.
My 7 year old sister made this cover almost entirely by herself. The only thing I did was tell her NO HOT PINK and help cut out the holes for the outlets.

Did you try this tutorial? Let me know by leaving a comment!
Check out my other tutorials {  here }.

You Might Also Like

16 COMMENTS

  1. how fun to add a little something special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great tutorial! I hope to get a chance to try it some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's really cute. I've done it before with wallpaper, but this opens up so much more possibilities. I am hosting a link party that opens tonight at 8pm EST. Hope you drop by and join in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love these. You did a great job giving the play by play. I am struggling to find the perfect three hole switchplate cover so now I may just make my own--it'd be better matched to the room and more unique. Thank you!
    http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea. I am going to try this in my boy's rooms. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you linked up this post to my Swing into Spring party. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, they all look great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this looks amazing! I can't wait to try it!
    I was thinking the same thing...why do I keep these boring white switch plate covers, but I didn't want to go out any buy any. This is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you stopped by and linked up this post to my Swing into Spring party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute, I love the papers you used. They make a plain old switch plate look classy. I love the sentiment your sister used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very nice! love them all and so glad you stopped by craft schooling Sunday to share! Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a simple & creative idea!! Glad to be a new follower. :) So happy you joined last weeks K.I.S.S. blog bash, your creativity is appreciated. Please remember tomorrow is another fun blog bash, drop by & share more inspiring ideas!

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just did this too! http://livingcheapandhappy.blogspot.com/2011/04/light-switch-face-plates.html But I love the addition of the book page on yours. Fantastic! I definitely want to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great...I covered my AC thermostat a while back and now I am inspired to cover my switch holders too....

    ReplyDelete
  15. My room is in the basement and the basement is supose to stay rustic so my walls are boring white and so are my light switch plates. I have been trying to think of ways to spice up my room ( Without anything totally permanent)and this will be perfect. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I like the prints you chose for your switch plates. No hot pink, indeed, but your little sister's work was rather nice. Yes, I think the use of sealants like Mod Podge is necessary, so the prints don't get distorted as well. I was thinking of how you can replace the designs, but then again, switch plates are rather cheap and can be easily replaced instead, since they only cost only $1 each.

    Switch Plates

    ReplyDelete

Like on Facebook

Instagram Images